Sunday, August 12, 2012

Dr. Seuss House Teapot

Well this was a challenge, but having the drawing reallly helped.   Whenever I take the time to sketch my design out first, it pays off :).  Usually when I throw a teapot I use one lump of clay and throw everything (spout,lid, and body) out of the one lump.  But this time I used three seperate lumps of clay.  I did this because I wasn't exactly sure how much clay id need and I needed the body complete so as to get the proportions of the spout and "upstairs" correct.  Usually the spout is a very small amout of clay for me but this teapot has a very large spout.  I actually used the same amout of clay for the spout and body.  I love the spout its so fun.  I also loved the swirly lines I put into the parts of the teapot.  I've been using my slip again (not used since the teapot "Victoria") and I forgot how much I liked it.  I felt like I was decorating a cake when I was adding the doors and windows and doodles :).  It was really fun. The handles are supposed to be stairs and the whole teapot is supposed to look like a house inspired by Dr. Seuss' "The Lorax".









No comments:

Post a Comment