Saturday, April 7, 2012

New, New, New, New, New

All kinds of newness going on here :).  The red clay is sort of new.  I've used it before, but not lately and never for a teapot.  Another new technique is the use of slip as a pain/glaze.  I used slip on the victoria teapot but this time I thinned it out and brushed it on :).  Thanks to a fellow potter for the awesome advice of using a blender to whip up the slip, it was very easy :).  Once I applied the white slip to the red clay, I did the next new thing: applied underglazes to leather hard clay.  I chose a painterly approach of the poppy.  The weather has been so nice and I have a three day weekend off of work, so I was feeling a tad bit whimsy and that's why the flowers look like they do :).  I'm happy so I wanted my flowers to look happy and free :).  I pulled the design together by using a technique called sgrafitto (idk the spelling on that).  This is carving through slip or glaze, revealing the claybody underneath :).  I just think there are a lot of layers here and I'm loving it.  I wanted to keep the teapot shape simple so you can just focus on the happy poppies :).  Yay for spring!


Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.4

No comments:

Post a Comment